There are three awards available:
- ISHS Graduate Student Awards (GSA): to recognize outstanding scholars and promising graduate students conducting research in humor studies.
- The Don and Alleen Nilsen Young Scholars Award (DANYS): to inspire young scholars to prepare high quality presentations for the annual ISHS Conferences. The judges look for such qualities as originality, value to the field of humor studies, accuracy of information, and skill in presentation.
- Christie Davies Award (CDA): to recognize exemplary graduate student work presented at ISHS Conferences on any topic within the area of social sciences or liberal arts disciplines.
Award applicants must:
- be an ISHS student member working toward a masters or doctoral degree – Recent PhDs, who received their doctorate after May 1, 2022, may also apply for the CDA
- register for and attend the 2023 ISHS Conference
- submit an independently written conference paper (papers coauthored by an advisor are ineligible)
and “Post Application Form Here”
Please submit all documents in a single file:
- an application letter indicating which award you are competing for and a description of your research program within humor studies
- a curriculum vitae
- a conference paper abstract by June 1, 2023 (Applicants for the GSA )
- a completed conference paper plus abstract June 1, 2023 (Applicants for the CDA and DANYS)
- Applicants for the Graduate Student Award will be judged on their conference abstract that may be in any area of humor studies.
- Applicants for the DANYS award will be judged on a completed manuscript in any area of humor studies. They must therefore submit their completed manuscript together with their abstract.
- Applicants for the Christie Davies’ Award will be judged on a completed manuscript on any topic within the area of social sciences or liberal arts disciplines. They must therefore submit their completed manuscript together with their abstract.
The ISHS Awards Committee will review each applicant’s materials and, based on merit, make one recommendation for the DANYS Award, one recommendation for the CDA, and two recommendations for GSAs. The Committee will present its recommendations to the ISHS Executive Board for final approval, and the Board will notify the GSA, CDA, and DANYS Award recipients of their awards in advance of the Society’s annual Conference.
The GSA, CDA, and DANYS Award recipients will present their work at a special session of the ISHS annual conference and will receive certificates of achievement. The DANYS recipient will receive a stipend of $500 and the CDA and GSA recipients will each receive a stipend of $250.