Learn journalism from working reporters this summer — on campus or from home.
Boston University presents a hands-on experience for high school students interested in journalism, writing or photography.
The Summer Journalism Academy at Boston University gives high school students the opportunity to expand their skills and prepare for college, either through a residential experience on campus or through remote instruction from home.
Each academy instructor is also a working journalist, so what’s taught is grounded in real-life experience. Each lesson is tied to its practical application, by giving students actual reporting assignments. Each day is a sample of life as a news reporter.
On-campus applications due: APRIL 14, 2023.
Learn-from-Home applications due: May 5, 2023.
- On Campus: News Reporting and Writing: June 26 to July 14, 2023; Photojournalism: June 26 to July 14, 2023; Learn-from-Home: News Reporting and Writing A: June 19 to June 30, 2023; News Reporting and Writing B: July 3 to July 14, 2023; News Reporting and Writing C: July 17 to July 28, 2023; Photojournalism: July 17 to July 28, 2023
- On Campus: High School students, rising juniors and seniors, with journalism experience; Learn-from-Home: High School students, 14-18, with all experience levels
- On Campus, residential: Three weeks, includes tuition, activity fees, room and board: $6000. ($5600 until March 3.) On Campus, commuter: Three weeks, includes tuition and activity fees: $4350. ($3950 until March 3.) Learn-from-Home: Two weeks, tuition: $1450. ($1250 until March 3.)
- Textbook, Inside Reporting by Tim Harrower, available print or digital, for purchase or rental at Chegg, B&N or Amazon. On-campus students can purchase or rent the book, or thye borrow a hard copy from us. If a student borrows one of our books and does not return it or return it in the condition they borrowed it, you will be charged $80 for the book.
- Computer, with a broadband internet connection, audio and camera for video-conference meetings.
- Phone, to conduct interviews with sources and story subjects.
According to Boston University’s COVID-19 Vaccination policy, all on-campus students must be fully vaccinated according to the requirements made by Boston University. If a student is accepted to our on-campus program, they are required to provide documentation of their vaccination. For more information, please visit Boston University’s Back 2 BU website.